No products in the basket.
‘Timely new chapters on China and the “sharing economy” of Uber and Airbnb strengthen an already vital contribution to communication studies. Through the lens of critical theory, Fuchs provides the essential text for students of our new media world.’
– Vincent Mosco, Queen’s University, Ontario
With social media changing how we use and understand everything from communication and the news to transport, more than ever it is essential to ask the right kinds of questions about the business and politics of social media. This book equips students with the critical thinking they need to understand the complexities and contradictions and make informed judgements.
This new edition:
- Lays bare the structures and power relations at the heart of our media landscape
- Explores the sharing economy of Uber and Airbnb in a brand new chapter
- Takes us into the politics and economy of social media in China
- Puts forward powerful arguments for how to achieve a social media that serves the purposes of a just and fair world
This book is the essential, critical guide for all students of media studies and sociology. Readers will never look at social media the same way again.